In this meet the team spotlight, we’ll take Kyle, our very own robotic boy made flesh, and ask him the really “important questions”…which he attempts to answer quite literally and even stumbles upon accidentally introspective territory.
It must be noted that Kyle, whom may have been nervous about this endeavor, made clear to apologize for his answers before, during, and after this interview. All this in a continued effort to shed light on the crew that continues to make Ninja Forms possible, and hopefully give the gift of chuckles and laughter in the meantime.
For those unable to listen to the audio version of Getting to Know You, an abbreviated transcript of this riveting Q&A session can be found below:
1. If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with your extra time?
In my experience, when I don’t sleep, I just end up working more. …That’s been really nice actually. So to answer your question, I would just work more.
2. What fictional place would you most like to visit, be it from a book, movie, game, etc? And why?
I was not provided these questions ahead of time…fictional place. I feel like I wouldn’t have a reason to visit because it wouldn’t be real.
3. What hobby would you get into if time and money were NOT an issue?
I’d probably go with wood working. I’ve always enjoyed that as a small hobby, I just haven’t had time, I guess, to get into it, rather it’s always fallen to the wayside.
4. What job would you be terrible at?
5. If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, what would you win a gold medal in?
Oh, ok. That took a different direction than I was expecting… See here’s the thing, in my experience I’ve always done many different things and have rarely exceptionally excelled at any one of them…to the level that I would say, a gold medal kind of level. That’s a very far and beyond achievement that I’ve never personally strived for anyway. Because I’ve always done a multitude of things. I’ve never had the passion of one activity to where I would ever strive for gold medal, because there is always the tradeoff of the other things I would not be able to do.
Interviewer: Well what would they just give you a gold medal for?
Being…myself? Better than someone else would be me? I don’t know…
6. What is the most annoying habit that other people have?
(This question was intended to be asked, but due to the above nervous rant of question 5, the interviewer was distracted and off track enough to skip question 6 entirely. We apologize.)
7. What’s your poison?
I choose–I say no to poison. I’m assuming based on cultural context that this is a question about alcohol?
Interviewer: Yes, that generally implies alcohol or your favorite beverage.
Can you re-ask the question so I don’t seem…
Interviewer: Okay Kyle, what’s your poison?
Alcohol. Oh wait! Grrr. Okay, one more time, one more time.
Interviewer: What is your favorite drink?
I prefer whiskey, or chilled…water. As opposed to room temperature water, it’s just not any good.
8. What food do you find disgusting?
Again, different direction than I expected. It’s typically, ‘What’s your favorite food?’, mac’n’cheese, obviously. I don’t know, give me a second, I’ve got this…ANYTHING BEANS! I guess. Never have been a fan of beans; refried beans, they just look disgusting.
9. What skill would you like to master?
Writing software? If I could ever master that, time will tell, I don’t know. Actually, I take that back, if I could master podcast interviews–because I’ve tried that before from the interview–the host perspective, but I don’t think I’m very good at it.
10. When people come to you for help, what do they usually want help with?
Usually it’s something that I originally made that they think is broken, but usually they are wrong because it’s not broken, they just don;’t know what it is they are doing with it.
11. What takes up too much of your time?
People asking me questions about code I wrote.
12. If you were cryogenically frozen for 100 years, what would be your first question to the person/creature that woke you up?
What year is it? Oh wait! I can do math, nevermind…I would ask for something warm, probably.
13. What is something that always makes your day better?
Interviewer: “I’ll see what I can do.”
I’ve always really enjoyed the morning coffee routine at Bonlife. If I can start my day there, generally the work day is very good.
14. What artist or song do you put on when you can’t decide what to listen to?
I generally don’t make music decisions. I just listen to one thing over and over again, until I find another one thing to listen to.
15. What TV show or movie do you refuse to see?
Ah! Caillou! That obnoxious childrens’ show. Oh man, I saw an episode of that and thought, “This is awful!!”…that kid is so annoying. Thank fully he is not a real person, so I don’t feel bad saying that.
16. What is your ideal way to spend the weekend?
Other than just relaxing, just taking a weekend trip with my wife and the kids.
17. Time Travel…are you going to the future or the past?
Is that really one we can limit to one direction or the other? Is it just a really bad time machine that breaks down along the way?
Interviewer: This is an arbitrary question to get to know you.
So, you want an arbitrary answer? Both. Neither…I don’t know.
Interviewer: A honest answer. What intrigues you more, the past or the future?[after a decent ramble/tirade, see audio version for full dialogue] “…the past.
18. What website do you visit most often that isn’t Ninja Forms?
MY.ninjaforms.com, because that is where I spend my life. The PHP manual? If streaming services count, Netflix?
19. If you could only know the answer to one of the following, would it be, “What is the meaning of life?”, or, “What is the exact origin of ALL space and time?”
I guess in terms of curiosity, I would find meaning more important than origin…[another humorous tirade commences]
20. What do you wish your brain was better at doing?
“…probably just remembering stuff…
…But that’s not all, Kyle is then subjected to a BONUS round question!
21. If you found yourself deserted on a small island…in space, and the creatures inhabiting the island saw you as a deity,…what crazy things would you do?
This is a weird question…[more laugher fueled ramblings]…I say ‘hello’, ‘Hello World!’…My first action as god of the new world would be to say ‘Hello World!’, obviously. Which now, I feel like that was the obvious answer to the question. It took me way too long to come up with that one.