“Pickles. They’re bad food for bad people!” -Kenny
Some of you may remember him as WordCamp Atlanta’s unofficial mascot for 2016: The Kenatee, others may not know him at all…and we aim to remedy that! In this meet the team spotlight, we’ll take Kenny, our development multi-tool, and ask him the really “important questions”…in which he realizes (and self proclaims) he is a “huge nerd” who finds video games to simultaneously be his closest friend and worst enemy.
All this in a continued effort to shed light on the crew that continues to make Ninja Forms possible, and hopefully give the gift of chuckles and laughter in the meantime.
For those unable to listen to the audio version of Getting to Know You, an abbreviated transcript of this riveting Q&A session can be found below:
1. If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with your extra time?
Play video games. I really enjoy video games. Probably play a-lot of bass.
2. What fictional place would you most like to visit, be it from a book, movie, game, etc? And why?
That’s a hard question. I dunno…let’s just say the Aliens universe. I just wanna see what they look like in real life and maybe have a ‘chest-burster’.
3. What hobby would you get into if time and money were NOT an issue?
Probably video game development. I’ve dabbled in it a-lot over the past couple of years. I enjoy it; development itself is already hard. Video game development and animation, and all that stuff, is way more complex than what we do here [at Ninja Forms] in a-lot of ways. I would love to open my own game studio, but it is just such a beast to get into.
4. What job would you be terrible at?
Retail, now. I used to work retail and I was okay at it. I hate people…sooo, I would probably not be great at that anymore. M<aybe it’s just social anxiety talking, but I would probably not be good at retail anymore.
5. If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, what would you win a gold medal in?
I’m pretty good at sleeping…also not wearing shoes. And mismatched socks. You know, you have like the sneaker-heads, I wanna be a sock-head. You can call me a sock puppet, I dunno, that sounds cool.
6. What is the most annoying habit that other people have?
Chewing with their mouth open. I just want to punch someone when I hear them doing that.
7. If you had to change your name, what would your new name be, and why would you choose that name?
I would want to go with something ridiculous. Since we are in a red and black room, I’m just going to say ‘Red & Black Foam’.
Interviewer: So you want to change your name to Red & Black foam, because we are in a red and black room? …This is your object permanence speaking.
I forget that everything outside of this room exists. [laughs]
8. What food do you find disgusting?
Pickles. Pickles are disgusting. They’re bad food for bad people. If you like pickles, you are disgusting. …This is apparently a trigger for me.
9. What skill would you like to master?
Development, honestly. I really like what I do and I would like to get better at my craft.
10. If you could know the absolute and total truth to one question, what question would you ask?
I don’t wanna go religious here…I dunno, “Why are we here, what made us?”
11. What takes up too much of your time?
Probably video games. As much as I love them, I do tend to play them a-lot. I don’t know that that’s a bad thing. You’ve got to enjoy your life, so you’ve got to have something to relax with.
12. What will finally break the internet?
If Kim Kardashian didn’t… Cryptocurrency, I guess?
13. What is the dumbest way you’ve been injured?
I’ve been injured in a-lot of dumb ways. So, when I was in middle school, I had a friend, and we played Madden Football, the video game. I guess I was talking a-lot of trash, and it made him mad enough that he ran up behind me and kicked me in the knee. When I fell down, he grabbed my knee and punched it, and it broke out cartilage from my knee. So yeah, that was pretty dumb.
14. What artist or song do you put on when you can’t decide what to listen to?
I usually listen to some sort of progressive metal. Periphery and Tool are kind of my go-to.
15. What TV show or movie do you refuse to see?
My wife likes America’s Next Top Model, and I just can’t do it. It’s just boring.
16. What is your ideal way to spend the weekend?
Playing video games. The more I sit here, I’m starting to realize, I’m a pretty big nerd.
17. Time Travel…are you going to the future or the past?
Probably going to go to the future. I want to know if VR [virtual reality] ever really takes off. And like cryptocurrency, I’m curious about these two things. What if in the future we have VR cryptocurrency? If I die now, I’ll never know! My science ghost will have to come back and wander around the Earth to figure out if there is VR cryptocurrency.
18. What website do you visit most often that isn’t Ninja Forms?
Either lastlifepodcast.com, or giantbomb.com
19. What movie would be greatly improved if it were made into one long epic rap battle?
True Lies with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Maybe Jaws as well.
Interviewer: Please tell me the shark is rapping.
Oh yeah, the shark is like the main DJ! He spits some hot flame. You don’t mess with DJ Jaws.
20. What would be the coolest animal to scale up to the size of a blue whale?
I want to say one of my cats, but I’m also afraid, because I feel like my cats are jerks. Not many people would survive. A really big cat seems like a bad idea…I dunno, something kind of harmless. A gerbil?
Interviewer: I think I’ve witnessed people being bitten by a gerbil.
Okay, what doesn’t have a mouth?
Interviewer: An amoeba?
Sure…no, no! That’s a terrible idea. My cat, I’m just going to double down. Death to all.[laughs]
…But that’s not all, Kenny is then subjected to a BONUS round question!
21. If you found yourself deserted on a small island…in space, and the creatures inhabiting the island saw you as a deity,…what crazy things would you do?
These poor people would be messed up. I would have them erect shrines to me, and tear them down on a daily basis. They would build the shrine, tear it down, then rebuild it. …Everyday would be my day, that’s how I want to be as a deity. [additional banter and laughter continue on the topic]